Thu 13 January 2022 | 15:41

African football chiefs set to investigate referee Janny Sikazwe

Referee Janny Sikazwe made news after blundering twice with the full-time whistle in Tunisia-Mali clash.


suffered a 1-0 defeat to


in their first Africa Cup of Nations match on Wednesday.

The highlight of the match, however, was when the referee Janny Sikazwe blew the full-time whistle in the 85th minute of the game.

Sikazwe then realized his error and resumed the game for four more minute, during which he sent off Mali forward El Bilal, before blowing for full time again, this time with 13 seconds to go. This strange decision was strongly protested by Tunisian players and staff.

More interestingly, after about 40 minutes, the two teams were supposed to return to the field to resume the match from where they left off, and although Mali’s players returned to the pitch, Tunisians refused to do the same and the match was concluded in a 1-0 result.

Sikazwe was later taken to hospital with the effects of heatstroke and dehydration, which were claimed to be the cause for referee’s loss of focus.

In this regard, Africa Cup of Nations chiefs have lunch an investigation into why the Zambian referee blew for full-time twice before 90 minutes was up.

A CAF statement reads:

"In relation to the TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations match between Tunisia and Mali played in Limbe on 12 January 2022, CAF is gathering all the necessary reports from the officials at the match.

"CAF is forwarding these documents to the competent bodies of CAF. At this stage, CAF is not in a position to make further comment until the responsible bodies indicate the way forward."

source: SportMob

DISCLAIMER! Sportmob does not claim ownership of any of the pictures posted on this website. Again, we do not host pictures or videos ourselves. Our authors merely link to the rightful owner. Lastly, Sportmob have carefully considered and reviewed all of its content. Despite that, it is possible that some information might be out-dated or incomplete.