logo

Xavi upbeat about more signings but has doubt over Dembele’s future

Tue 04 January 2022 | 15:25

Barcelona manager Xavi is "very optimistic" that the club will be able to add to their squad during the January transfer window, but he is doubtful if striker Ousmane Dembele will stay at the Camp Nou beyond this season.

Despite their financial problems, which included debts exceeding €1.2 billion last year,

Barcelona

have signed

Ferran Torres

from

Manchester City

for an initial €55 million (£46.7 million) transfer fee this month.

Barca can't register Torres until they sell some other players because otherwise, they would go over their pay limit. Yet, other high-profile players are still being linked with a move to Camp Nou.

Erling Haaland

is one of the Catalans' targets, with club president

Joan Laporta

refusing to rule out a bid for the coveted

Borussia Dortmund

attacker.

In response to rumors that his team was interested in purchasing a stake in Haaland, Laporta told the football world to

"get ready"

because Barcelona

"are back."

Xavi

shares Laporta's excitement and feels that the arrival of Torres, who was officially introduced at Camp Nou on Monday, would energize the club's fans after a disappointing first half of the season.

"I'm very close to [Laporta] and I'm very optimistic. I like his ambition,"

Xavi

said at a news conference previewing Wednesday's

Copa del Rey last-32 tie with Linares Deportivo

.

"We are working to return. We are close to the Champions League positions. It is not easy, but we are working hard to give Barca what it deserves. We are on the right track.

"The signing of Ferran Torres makes the fans breathe as well. We are working practically 24 hours a day. We must follow the president's lead. It is a positive message to say that we have returned.

"If we sink into misery, it does not help. We must be positive. The president leads the way."

As a result,

Barcelona

will be unable to genuinely sign any new players until the departures of existing players like as

Philippe Coutinho

and

Ousmane Dembele

are completed.

Coutinho

has started only five games this season, while

Dembele

is in the last five months of his contract and is now eligible to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with a team in another jurisdiction.

"We have to wait for Dembele,"

Xavi said.

"I'm calm as I can't do anything else. Dembele has to make an effort and think about his future – it depends on him.

"As for Philippe, I've not spoken with him. He's a professional and helps us a lot. But in order for us to have entries, there must be exits."


source: SportMob

DISCLAIMER! Sportmob does not claim ownership of any of the pictures posted on this website. Again, we do not host pictures or videos ourselves. Our authors merely link to the rightful owner. Lastly, Sportmob have carefully considered and reviewed all of its content. Despite that, it is possible that some information might be out-dated or incomplete.