The Argentina boss says his side will prepare for the competition amid uncertainty.
The Copa America is set to be held in
after CONMEBOL decided to strip
of their hosting duties. The decision was made due to the co-hosts’ respective political and coronavirus issues. Brazil has also been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic in recent weeks. Ahead of his side’s World Cup qualifier against Colombia,
has criticized CONMEBOL’s controversial decision.
"We know what everyone knows, for now it is being played and we are aware of that,"
Scaloni told reporters
"Now we are focused on the game with Colombia and after this we will surely focus on what is coming."
"We wanted to base ourselves in our training camp, they authorised it and for us it is a great peace of mind," added Scaloni.”
Scaloni’s team were held to a 1-1 draw in their World Cup qualifying match against
last week. The Albiceleste will play against the same team in their opening match of the Copa America on June 15.
"I don't know what will happen after the playoff games are over, but it is very important for us to stay at home.
"What will happen from tomorrow I don't know, we are calm. But the worrying aspect is still there."
scored Argentina’s only goal in their match against Chile last week. Asked about the 33-year-old’s impact on his side’s performances, Scaloni responded:
"Messi's always marked by two or three people. We are planning on doing something which we have not been doing in the last games. Hopefully we can do it.
"We will have to see what Colombia does. They are the hosts, they just won in a convincing fashion and we will see if they have the same team. Messi being marked is something that we assume."