Borussia Dortmund chief believes Jordan Sancho’s poor run of form is the courtesy of losing focus after transfer speculations.
, the Westfalenstadion CEO, admitted that the England international
has got distracted due to theManchester United
transfer rumor, saying the 20-year-old had "already prepared for a change".
Manchester United showed an interest in signing the winger during the summer transfer window. However, the deal did not happen asDortmund
would not go under €100 million (£90m/$123m) and United were not able to meet that price tag given the coronavirus financial crisis.
Since then, the 20-yer-old’s run of form faced a crisis as he found the target only five times in 19 games she played in for Dortmund. According to Watzke, Sancho lost his concentration when found out about the possible move to Manchester United, however, he was able to perform significantly before all that.
Subconsciously, Jadon had probably already prepared a little for a change,
" the Dortmund chief said. "
I think he had at least thought so much about it that he lost his ease. I have found him trying very hard for weeks."
Regarding Sancho’s struggle this season, he added: "
The biggest difference is that he used to not think about his next ball action. Now he thinks about it, and the tenth of a second that he misses is often exactly the one in which the opponent is already on his feet.
"The more you try as a creative person, the more difficult it often becomes."
Sancho showed off a talismanic display by netting in the 2-0 win over Wolfsburg on weekend and Dortmund chief is hoping he will continue performing well.
I think he needs two or three success stories in a row, then things will quickly improve again,
" he said. "
He is still one of the greatest talents there is
Sancho will feature for Dortmund on January 9 as they go into battle withRB Leipzig
and they have no more room for error as they fight for the title which is currently reigned byBayern Munich