Former Manchester United defender says he was shocked by how the club's officials handled his exit.
Having leftManchester United
on a permanent deal this summer after spending a successful 2019-20 season with the Italian side on a one-year loan spell. The 30- year-old bounced back in Roma as he appeared in 37 games for the Italian giants last season and helped them to secure the fifth position by the end of the season. Despite the high price tag, Roma was willing to sign the English defender and are hoping to integrate him into their 2020-21 squad after his latest Injury which put him on the sidelines for the start of the season. In a recent interview with Telegraph, Smalling has spoken about his situation with Manchester United and the club’s attitude toward his departure.
“I guess that was maybe the lowest point at United,
“That was the shock I didn’t expect. How it was handled... if I was told earlier that summer - and I don’t want to have a dig at Ole - I would have made other plans.
“I knew that my days under Ole were pretty much numbered. I was just a bit frustrated.
“One, I would like to have been told earlier and then, secondly, I was only able to go with just a day left of the Italian window being open.
“The English window had shut. I was left in a very sh*t situation. I had to decide. After I had that chat [with Solskjaer] it was a case [from him] of, ‘I’m not sure when your next game will be’.
“In an ideal situation I would have known early in the summer and made plans and it almost got to the stage where I had a day left.
“My wife had just had a kid as well. There was a lot going on that happened at the last minute.”
Roma will play againstParma
on Sunday as they continue their Serie A campaign after the international break.