Fri 20 May 2022 | 13:30

Top facts about Milan Baros, the Ostravan Maradona

Milan Baros never quite replicated his form for the Czech Republic at Liverpool, but he is a player all Reds fans will remember very fondly. Read on to find out more facts about Milan Baros.

Milan Baros (born 28 October 1981) is a former striker for the Czech Republic. At the amateur level, he presently plays for FK Vigantice.

Milan Baros’ age

is 40. Here you can find out the most important facts about Milan Baros, the former player with a career blowing hot and cold.

An important fact about Milan Baros is that he was a member of the Liverpool side that won the UEFA Champions League in 2005. In 2007, he won Ligue 1, the FA Cup with


in 2008, and the Süper Lig with Galatasaray in 2012.

He also had stints with Bank Ostrava, where he began his career, and

Aston Villa

in England, before retiring from professional football in 2020 after his fourth stint with Bank Ostrava.

Baros, who was born in Valaské Mezi, played in 93 international matches for the Czech Republic, scoring 41 goals. He was named the Golden Boot winner as the highest scorer in the Euro 2004 competition, in which his country advanced to the semi-finals.

He played in three more big international competitions after that. Only Jan Koller has more goals for the Czech Republic with 41.

Top facts about Milan Baros:

A notable fact about Milan Baros is that he made his first team debut in 1998, and over the next few years, he established himself as one of Czech football's most exciting young talents. He also played for the Czech Republic's international youth teams on a regular basis.

Milan Baros early life


Milan Baros’ childhood

, it should be mentioned that he was born in Valaské Mezi, Czech Republic. He was raised in the Vigantice village. There is no information available regarding

Milan Baros’ parents


Baros played for youth clubs in Vigantice and Ronov pod Radhotm as a kid before joining Bank Ostrava's young squad at the age of 12. He made his debut for the club in the Czech First League, the country's top flight, in 1998, and was a regular for the following several seasons.

He was named Talent of the Year at the Czech Footballer of the Year honors in 2000. During the 2000–01 season, the Czech News Agency called him "probably the brightest star in the [Czech] football league."

His last game for the club was a 1–0 defeat to Viktoria ikov on December 2, 2001. He made 76 appearances for Ostrava and scored 23 league goals.

Milan Baros personal life

He married Tereza Franková in 2009, after dating her since 2005. On September 1, 2009, their son Patrik was born.

On November 1, 2007, Baros was caught in France while driving his black Ferrari F430 at 271 km/h (168 mph) on a 130 km/h motorway (81 mph).

The radar measurement of 271 km/h was the highest speed ever recorded in the area, according to local officials, exceeding the previous record of 248 km/h (154 mph) achieved by a biker in 2000.

As a consequence, Baros’ vehicle and driver's license were seized, and he was forced to take a cab back to Lyon.

Milan Baros professional career

Despite displaying signs of potential during his three seasons at


, Milan Baros was considered a flop. He scored twenty-seven goals in 68 appearances for the club, which is not a bad record, but many feel he was capable of more.

His inclination to keep his head down and not look up has, in my view, lost him a lot of excellent opportunities. Regardless of what happened, Baros will always be remembered as a Champions League champion, and he played a critical role on the Road to Istanbul. He will always be welcomed back to Anfield for this reason alone.

Milan Baros club career

Baros moved to Liverpool in 2002 for £3.2 million, although he did not start playing right away owing to problems in acquiring a work visa.


On March 13, he made his club debut in a UEFA Champions League fixture against


, when he replaced Emile Heskey for the last 16 minutes of a goalless draw. It was his sole show in the 2001–02 season.

An important

fact about Milan Baros

is that he made his Premiership debut against

Bolton Wanderers

on 14 September 2002, scoring twice in a 3–2 win for Liverpool.

Baros played in the 2003 Football League Cup Final against Manchester United as a substitute. He came in in the second half but did not play until the last minute, being replaced himself a minute before the game ended.

Liverpool won the game 2–0 to win the cup, Baros’ first major title. He scored twice in a 6–0 away triumph against already-relegated West Bromwich Albion in April 2003 at the conclusion of the season. He scored 12 goals for the club in his debut season in the Premiership.

In a match against Blackburn Rovers in September 2003, Baros injured his ankle, while teammate Jamie Carragher broke his leg.

After missing five months of football, Baros only scored two goals in the 2003–04 season. His first goal came against Leeds United in a league match in February 2004, while his second goal came in a 1–1 Champions League tie against Marseille in March.

Gérard Houllier, according to Baros, would have requested a move if he had remained at the club beyond the summer of 2004. Houllier ended up leaving the club and was replaced by Rafael Bentez.

Baros came into the 2004–05 season as the leading goal scorer in the summer's Euro 2004 competition. Baros became Liverpool's lone senior striker when Michael Owen and Emile Heskey were sold and new recruit Djibril Cissé was sidelined with a long-term injury.

Despite having 13 goals to his name, including a hat-trick against

Crystal Palace

, Fernando Morientes was chosen over Baros in Liverpool's starting eleven for the League Cup Final, which they lost to Chelsea.

He did, however, start the 2005 Champions League Final before being replaced after 85 minutes as the game ended 3–3 in regular time.

The match was won on penalties by Liverpool. Baros is said to have dropped the trophy during the team's celebration, causing a dent, which Liverpool opted not to repair since it "added to the trophy's character." With 13 goals, he concluded the season as the club's equal leading scorer.

An important fact about Milan Baros is that he earned his first red card of the season on March 20, when he was sent off for a high tackle on Everton's Alan Stubbs in the Merseyside derby.

Gérard Houllier, then the manager of French club Lyon, made an offer to sign Baros in June 2005. The player turned down the offer, and only made two substitute appearances for Liverpool during the 2005–06 season before departing. He finished his Liverpool career with 19 goals in 68 games.

Aston Villa

In August 2005, Baros signed a four-year deal with Premiership side Aston Villa for £6.5 million. The number 10 jersey was handed to him.

He scored the lone goal in his new team's league triumph against Blackburn only 10 minutes after making his Aston Villa debut. In September, he was instrumental in Villa's League Cup second round win against Wycombe Wanderers.

With Villa losing 3–1 at the break, Baros scored early in the second half and earned a penalty, which Gareth Barry converted. As Villa scored seven goals in the second half, ending in their best victory in almost 40 years, he also delivered the cross for Barry's second goal of the game.

In a November encounter against Sunderland, he set up the first Aston Villa goal by back-heeling the ball to Aaron Hughes, which "appeared to have gone out of play." Kevin Phillips scored the game's first goal after Hughes' ball reached him. He went on to score a goal in the same game, which Villa won 3–1.

An important

fact about Milan Baros

is that he was heavily engaged in the events during Everton's Boxing Day match. He scored in the 35th minute after handling the ball only a few moments prior. The referee did not reprimand this and gave a goal.

Baros then rejoiced in front of the Everton supporters who had traveled with him, making a gesture as if to listen to them. As a result, a number of projectiles from the crowd were hurled towards Baros.

The goal was Baros’ third in an "indifferent season," according to Glenn Moore of The Independent. He went on to score his second and Villa's fourth goals, earning him man of the match honors.

An important fact about Milan Baros is that he scored two goals in the fourth round of the FA Cup against Port Vale in January 2006, and another in the next round's 1–1 tie with

Manchester City


In the Second City derby against Birmingham City at Villa Park late in the season, he scored his 11th and 12th goals of the season, earning him another man of the match award. That season, he did not score another goal.

After a poor start to the 2006–07 season, new manager Martin O'Neill challenged Baros in October to establish himself before the January transfer window closed.

In December 2006, eight months after his previous goal, he scored his first goal of the season, a close-range equaliser against Sheffield United in a 2–2 tie. Despite scoring for Aston Villa in a 2–1 FA Cup defeat to Manchester United, he departed the club in January 2007, having scored only once in 17 league outings that season.


On January 22, 2007, Baros signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with Lyon, reuniting with former Liverpool manager Gérard Houllier.

Baros was switched for Lyon striker John Carew, who signed a three-and-a-half-year agreement with Aston Villa.

He made his Lyon debut in a league match against Bordeaux only two days after joining the club. He came in as a substitute as league leaders Lyon were defeated 2–1 at home for the first time this season.

An important fact about Milan Baros is that he played in the Champions League that year, coming in as a substitute in a 0–0 tie against


in Rome. He didn't play again in the Champions League that season, as he sat on the bench in the return leg as Lyon were eliminated.

During Lyon's match against Rennes on April 18, 2007, Baros was accused of making a racial gesture at his Cameroonian opponent Stéphane Mbia.

Baros held his nose in front of Mbia and waved his hand as if to whisk away an unpleasant odor after being fouled by him multiple times.

In the aftermath of the uproar, Baros claimed that his gesture was not racist and that he was only attempting to warn Mbia to get out of his face and leave him alone.

Baros and Mbia faced an official disciplinary process before the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP), which found Baro not guilty of racist behavior but punished him for the last three games of the season for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Lyon won the league championship at the conclusion of the season, but manager


departed the club. Baros scored twice in Lyon's 2–0 victory against Auxerre in the 2007–08 season opener.

Under new manager Alain Perrin, he played substantially less, making just six starts and scoring three league goals. Baros disclosed a breakdown in his relationship with Perrin in mid-November and hinted at a transfer to another team.


In January 2008, Baros joined Premier League club Portsmouth on a season-long loan from Lyon, with the option of making the move permanent at the conclusion of the loan.

An important

fact about Milan Baros

is that he was instrumental in the club's FA Cup victory in 2008. With a suspected handball that went overlooked by both the referee and his assistant, he secured Portsmouth's match-winning penalty kick in the quarter-final against Manchester United and assisted Nwankwo Kanu's decisive goal in the semi-final against West Bromwich Albion.

The 2008 FA Cup Last triumph against

Cardiff City

at Wembley Stadium was Baros’ final match on loan, and he came on as an 87th-minute replacement for Kanu.

Baros had played 16 games for Portsmouth at the conclusion of the season, including seven as a substitute, although he had not scored.

He was one of many Portsmouth players who did not attend the team parade after the club won the FA Cup, prompting suspicion that he may have played his last game for the club. Baros returned to Lyon at the end of the season.


Baros moved from Lyon to Turkish champions


for €4.7 million in August 2008. He made his debut against Kayserispor, appearing for the last 15 minutes. In the UEFA Cup first round, first leg match against Bellinzona, Baros scored his first two goals for the club.

He scored two goals against Kocaelispor three days later in his debut league start, and Galatasaray went on to win the match 4–1.

Baros scored a hat-trick in a 4–2 Süper Lig derby triumph against Beşiktaş on December 21, 2008, converting two penalties and scoring one from open play. Later in the season, he scored another hat-trick against Hacettepe. With 20 goals in the 2008–09 season, he was the leading scorer in the Süper Lig.

In his third league game, Baros scored twice in a 4–1 victory against Kayserispor, giving him his first goal of the 2009–10 season.

His next two goals came against Galatasaray's rivals Beşiktaş on September 13th. Baro scored his third and fourth goals of the season as Galatasaray triumphed 3–0.

He scored five goals in 10 games before fracturing his left foot in two places on October 25, 2009, following a challenge by Emre Belözolu in the Fenerbahçe–Galatasaray derby.

On 14 March 2010, he returned to duty for the first time after four and a half months, scoring a goal against Ankaragücü. Against Diyarbakirspor, he scored his third hat-trick for the club throughout the season. He concluded the season with 11 goals in 17 games in the league.

He extended his contract with Galatasaray for two seasons in August 2010, a week before the start of the 2010–11 Süper Lig season, keeping him with the club until the conclusion of the 2012–13 season.

Despite being injured during pre-season training, Baros came in as a substitute in Galatasaray's UEFA Europa League qualification match against Karpaty Lviv, scoring twice as the team came back from a two-goal deficit to tie the match.

He scored his fourth hat-trick for the club against Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor towards the end of September, however he was unable to finish the game due to injury.

On October 17, he scored two more goals in a 4–2 defeat against Ankaragücü, although he was injured again.

In March 2011, Baros was banned for three games for disrespecting referee Frat Aydnus during a match against Beşiktaş. Baros has played in 17 league games and scored 9 goals before the conclusion of the season.

Galatasaray had a strong start to the 2011–12 season, topping the league in January after winning eight straight league matches.

A notable fact about Milan Baros is that he did not play for his team for four weeks, however in the eighth match of the streak, he scored a vital goal against


. The team won their ninth game in a row, with Baros scoring his seventh goal of the season in a 5–1 triumph against Kardemir Karabükspor, despite leaving the game injured.

He made his comeback from injury in a February encounter against Antalyaspor, going on as a substitute but only staying on the field for 15 minutes before being sent off.

A three-match ban followed his ejection. Baros’ last goal for the club came against Manisaspor in the last match of the regular season in April 2012. In 2012, then-coach Fatih Terim informed Baros that he would no longer be playing for the club.

After Euro 2012, he did not play competitive football again and eventually departed the club in February 2013.

Bank Ostrava

On February 18, 2013, Czech club Bank Ostrava announced that Baros has signed a one-and-a-half-year deal with the club where he began his career. His salary was given to the team's youth club under the terms of his contract.

He made his first appearance of the season on February 23, coming in as a substitute in a 0–0 home draw with Dynamo Budjovice, after not playing a competitive match since June of the previous year.

On March 9, 2013, he scored a hat-trick in Ostrava's 3–0 league win against Hradec Králové, his first hat-trick in Czech football's top division.


A notable

fact about Milan Baros

is that he signed a one-year deal with Turkish club Antalyaspor on July 16, 2013. In August, he made his club debut as a substitute in a 0–0 Süper Lig match with Kayseri Erciyesspor.

In August, he scored his first Antalyaspor goal against Bursaspor, and in October, he scored his second against Rizespor. In December 2013, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), which forced him to miss the remainder of the season. In January 2014, Baro returned to the Czech Republic for therapy.

Czech league

Baros re-joined Ostrava on September 24, 2014, and signed a deal until the conclusion of the 2014–15 season.

Baros departed Ostrava at the conclusion of the 2014–15 season and signed a two-year deal with Mladá Boleslav.

Baros departed Mladá Boleslav at the conclusion of the 2015–16 season and signed a two-year deal with Slovan Liberec.

He only stayed in Liberec for one of the two years before returning to Bank Ostrava in 2017. Due to repeated ailments, Baros, 38, announced his retirement from professional football at the conclusion of the Czech season on July 3, 2020.

Milan Baros international career

Baros first represented the Czech Republic at the under-15 level in 1997. He progressed to higher age categories over the following three years, notably under-16, 17 and 18. Baros made three appearances for the United States in the 2000 Olympic Games.

He also competed in two additional important junior tournaments: the UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship in 2000, where the Czech Republic finished second, and the UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship in 2002, which the Czech Republic won.

On April 25, 2001, Baros made his senior national team debut in a friendly match against Belgium, scoring his first goal.

In a November 2001 qualifying match for the next year's World Cup, Baros and national teammate Pavel Nedvd were both issued red cards as the Czech Republic was eliminated by



A notable fact about Milan Baros is that he scored the first goal for the Czech Republic in their first game of the UEFA Euro 2004, a 2–1 comeback win against Latvia.

With the goal, he became the Czech Republic's youngest goal scorer in the European Championships. Jan Koller scored off a Baros feed to give the Netherlands a two-goal lead against the Czechs.

 The Czechs won the game 3–2 when Baros scored and Vladimr Micer finished the scoring. Having already qualified for the quarter-finals, the Czech Republic made nine changes to their starting lineup for the third group encounter.

As Germany failed to move to the following round of the competition, Baros came on as a substitute and scored the game-winning goal. Baros scored two goals in the second half of the Czech Republic's quarter-final victory against Denmark, and concluded the tournament with five goals.

Baros scored five goals for his nation in qualifying for the 2006 World Cup, including four in a row in 2005.

He missed the 2006 FIFA World Cup games against the United States and Ghana due to a foot injury sustained in a match on 3 June. He did play in the Czechs' last group game against Italy, but he seemed unfit and was substituted by David Jarolm after 64 minutes.

Baros has not scored an international goal since March 2007 in the run-up to UEFA Euro 2008. He started the Czech Republic's second group match against Portugal, but


won 3–1, and Baros went scoreless.

For the following match, against Turkey, Jan Koller was chosen ahead of Baros in the starting lineup. Despite not having played in the game or even being on the field, Baros received a yellow card during stoppage time at the conclusion of the game.

In April 2009, Baros was banned from playing for his country permanently due to a violation of discipline involving a late-night visit to a club.

Following the hiring of Ivan Haek as head coach, he was restored to the national team. In a friendly encounter against Belgium on August 12, 2009, he celebrated his comeback to international service with a penalty kick goal in a 3–1 home triumph.

The following month, against San Marino in a World Cup qualifier that the Czech Republic won 7–0, Baros set a career best with four goals.

He became just the second player from the Czech Republic to score four goals in an international match with this achievement.

He has been named for the Euro 2012 squad. Baros declared his retirement from international football after the tournament, in which he failed to score. He had scored 41 international goals in 93 outings. His 41 international goals for his country are second only to striking partner Jan Koller's 55.

Milan Baros Liverpool legacy

Baros was born in Czechoslovakia in October 1981. He spent five years in the Czech Republic with Banik Ostrava's youth team.

Alex Miller, a Liverpool European scout, saw him playing in a youth tournament for the Czech Republic and kept track of his progress over the next few years.

Liverpool made their move in December 2001, and Baros joined just before Christmas. In March 2002, he made his debut against Barcelona in a Champions League match at the Nou Camp. During the 2001/02 season, he only made one appearance.

Baros made his Premier League debut against Bolton Wanderers in September 2002. He scored twice in a 3-2 win, and it couldn't have gone any better for him. He was an instant hit with Reds fans due to his high level of energy and enthusiasm, as well as the fact that he was always involved in the attack.

That season, he scored twelve goals in forty games across all competitions. He also earned his first Liverpool medal after coming off the bench in the Carling Cup final victory over Manchester United.

Baros had high expectations for the 2003/04 season after a promising first season with Liverpool. Unfortunately, he broke his ankle against

Blackburn Rovers

in September.

He was out for the next six months due to injury, and even when he returned, Reds manager Gerard Houllier didn't seem to care about him, and he saw little first-team action for the rest of the season. Baros has since been quoted as saying he wanted to leave the club at the time because Houllier's decision to drop him had shattered his confidence.

Baros' confidence was quickly restored, and he was raring to go for Euro 2004 with the Czech Republic. He won the Golden Boot after scoring five goals during the tournament.

After his summer exploits at the Euros, fans were ecstatic to see him return to Anfield and were anticipating a barrage of goals. After the sales of Michael Owen and Emile Heskey, Baros was thrust into the starting lineup alongside new signing Djibril Cisse.

They weren't let down because he had a great start to the season, scoring eleven goals in the first four months. He was also instrumental during the Champions League group stages. He scored a spectacular goal against Monaco and the game-winning goal against Deportivo.

When Papiss Cisse broke his leg against Blackburn in October, Baros took over as Liverpool's main striker, especially in the Champions League. He scored his first hat-trick for Liverpool against Crystal Palace in November.

Despite his strong first half of the season, Fernando Morientes was signed from

Real Madrid

in January 2005, and Baros fell out of favor slightly during the domestic season. In the Carling Cup final defeat to Chelsea, he was unexpectedly dropped to the bench.

Morientes was unable to play in the competition, and Cisse didn't return to fitness until near the end of the season, so he was the lone striker for the entire Champions League run. Baros scored his only goal in the knockout stages against Bayer Leverkusen in the second leg.

In the away leg against Juventus, he missed a one-on-one chance, and sadly, this was a part of his game that had really come to the fore around that time.

In March 2005, he had a memorable experience in the Merseyside derby. Unfortunately, it was remembered for the wrong reasons.

A notable fact about Milan Baros is that he was given almost the entire Everton half to himself at one point in the game, and all he had to do was put the ball past the keeper, but after running with the ball, he completely messed it up, and his tame shot was easily saved.

He was sent off later in the game and left the field to a chorus of boos. What made his dismissal even more aggravating was that we had used all of our substitutes by this point, and Didi Hamman and Luis Garcia were both playing through injuries. We were effectively down to eight fit players, but they still won.

In Istanbul, Baros began the Champions League final. He didn't score in the game, but he was a part of one of Liverpool's most memorable nights. In the 85th minute, he was replaced by Cisse, and he was unable to take a penalty in the shoot-out.

Perhaps his most significant contribution to the Istanbul experience was when he dropped the trophy during the celebrations, denting it.

Baros was heavily linked with a move away from Anfield during the summer of 2005, and this looked even more likely when Peter Crouch was signed. Lyon and Shalke, according to the newspapers of the time, were pursuing him aggressively in the Champions League.

Rafa Benitez

added fuel to the fire by leaving him out of the team for the Champions League qualifiers. Baros stated publicly that he intended to stay on Merseyside and fight for his spot, but he joined Aston Villa at the end of August.

During Euro 2008, he represented the Czech Republic and was engaged in a historic incident. He was cautioned for acting erratically on the touchline during the tense encounter against Turkey. Baros was an unused replacement throughout the game, which made this booking all the more bizarre.

Baros joined Galatasaray in the summer of 2008, when he was joined by former Liverpool teammate Harry Kewell. He had a huge success in Turkey during his debut season, scoring twenty goals to help Galatasaray win the league.

He scored twenty-six goals in forty-three appearances across all competitions, the most he has ever scored in a single season.

The Czech FA banned Baros and five other players from playing for the national side for life in April 2009. After a World Cup qualification loss to Slovakia, they went out for an all-night drinking spree.

After the coach was removed, Baros was summoned back to the national squad and scored against Belgium in August 2009. After competing in Euro 2012, he retired from international football.

After injuring his foot, Baros missed five months of the 2009-10 season. In a pre-season friendly against Liverpool in July 2011, he scored two goals as Galatasaray triumphed 3-0.

He lost his spot in the squad during the 2012/13 season, and it was revealed in February 2013 that he had departed the club by mutual agreement after not playing a single game.

He then returned to Banik Ostrava, where he had begun his professional career. In March 2013, he became the first player in Czech football history to score a hat-trick. He returned to Turkey at the conclusion of the season and signed a one-year deal with



Milan Baros social media


Milan Baros social media

, it should be mentioned that he has an Instagram page (


) with more than 16k followers. On the page, we can see various pictures of him along with his fans and family.

Milan Baros body measurements

Speaking about

Milan Baros body measurements

, it should be mentioned that the former player is 185cm and 68kg.

Milan Baros net worth and salary

Milan Baros' net worth

is estimated to be around $20 million, according to Wikipedia, Forbes, and Business Insider.

Read More:



 for the 

latest football news

source: SportMob

DISCLAIMER! Sportmob does not claim ownership of any of the pictures posted on this website. Again, we do not host pictures or videos ourselves. Our authors merely link to the rightful owner. Lastly, Sportmob have carefully considered and reviewed all of its content. Despite that, it is possible that some information might be out-dated or incomplete.