Nigeria Professional Football League Top Scorers of All Time
Over the last century, the Nigerian top-division has faced deteriorating affluences. Nigeria National League (NNL) systematized by the League Management Company (LMC) is the feeder of this issue. To determine the NPFL Top Scorers of All Time, we need to know more information about NPFL.The name of Nigerian Premier League was recognized as of the Season of 2012/2013; previously known as "the (Nigerian) National League" or "Nigerian Football League" (1972–1979), Nigerian National League - First Division (1979–1990), "Nigerian Professional League" (1990–1993), "Nigerian Premier League", for the first time in 1993–2000 and " Nigerian Premiership" (2000–2003).
The following text is about the NPFL top scorers of all time:
The name of Nigerian Premier League was recognized as of the Season of 2012/2013; previously known as "the (Nigerian) National League" or "Nigerian Football League" (1972–1979), Nigerian National League - First Division (1979–1990), "Nigerian Professional League" (1990–1993), "Nigerian Premier League", for the first time in 1993–2000 and " Nigerian Premiership" (2000–2003).
In November 2012, the legal League board or body was incorporated, by the Nigeria Football Federation to take possession of the nearly-shrunken NPL. Rebranding the League name, from the Nigerian Premier League to the Nigerian Professional Football League, (NPFL) or just the Professional 'Football' League) (P'F'L) was the first phase taken by the LMC i.e. just "Professional League" or "Football League" in Nigeria.
So as to "elevation of current grounds and provision of required broadcast equipment and facilities in the stadiums”, the League Management Company implored commercial support from the Government in 2015.
The Liga de Fútbol Profesional (LFP) organizers of the La Liga sealed a five-year memorandum of understanding deal with the NPFL in 2016, on capacity construction and idea argument signed by Shehu Dikko and the La Liga President Javier Tebas as the League Management team. Super Eagles fringe player Ezekiel Bassey was engaged in a six-month finance aid from Enyimba to Barcelona B with a based-on-performance option of 3-years come end of the season, the NPFL and La Liga partnership has now underway produce as during the transfer window of January.
Beside Winter break friendlies with best flight Spanish sides such as Atlético Madrid, Málaga, Valencia, and Villareal, the NPFL AllStars (best players to obtain NPFL Top Scorers of All Time) have also been playing Pre-Season. This effort was done to expose and test the ability of Local players to gain NPFL Top Scorers of All Time alongside best players and sides.
Together with the League Management Company (LMC), Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) concluded a multi-faceted tactical contract in universal football expansion with the Federation of Football and Premier League body of the Kingdom of Morocco in 2017, so Amaju Pinnick, the NFF President and Shehu Dikko, as NFF 2nd Vice-President/ LMC Chairman write a communication of understanding paper with their Moroccan complements, as the outcome of thorough discussions, negotiations and contemplations over time.
In Rabat, it was signed by both FA Presidents in the Office of the Federation Royale Marocaine de Football, while the LMC's Chairman, Shehu Dikko and Chairman of the Ligue Nationale de Football Professionnel (which organises the Botola), Said Naciri were presented at the LNFP office to sign the contract and the process was under observation of the two FA bosses. It should be noted that Eunisell was also the sponsor of NPFL.
You might also like: Top Facts You Need to Know about the Gunfighter, Luis Suarez
- 2017 season
The league was won by Plateau United F.C. in 2017, with the 2–0 victory as highest goal scores in NPFL of all time over Enugu Rangers.
- 2018 season
In the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF), the league was deferred indeterminately following crisis in 2018. As the team was at the top of the standings, Lobi Stars was stated as the only league symbolic in CAF Champions League in 2019.
- 2019 season
24 teams contained in the league. Among them, four teams were endorsed from the Nigeria National League. The others remained from the preceding season which was not finalized. 12-team containing category was the base for dividing the groups. In each group, the top three ones challenged for the title of NPFL Super six championship playoff in Lagos. With 12 points from five games, the People's Elephant completed at the top of the log.
The NPFL was graded as the best in Africa and 24th best among the universal teams by the IFFHS in 2012, the highest goal scores in NPFL of all time sets it a predicament overhead the Scottish Premier League for the year.
You might also like: Facts you didn’t know about Le Petit Prince, Antoine Griezmann
Past Champions (Champions by Season)
- 1972: Mighty Jets (Jos)
- 1973: Bendel Insurance (Benin City)
- 1974: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 1975: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 1976: IICC Shooting Stars (Ibadan)
- 1977: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 1978: Racca Rovers (Kano)
- 1979: Bendel Insurance (Benin City)
- 1980: IICC Shooting Stars (Ibadan)
- 1981: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 1982: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 1983: IICC Shooting Stars (Ibadan)
- 1984: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 1985: New Nigeria Bank (Benin City)
- 1986: Leventis United (Ibadan)
- 1987: Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Owerri)
- 1988: Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Owerri)
- 1989: Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Owerri)
- 1990: Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Owerri)
- 1991: Julius Berger (Lagos)
- 1992: Stationery Stores (Lagos)
- 1993: Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Owerri)
- 1994: BCC Lions (Gboko)
- 1995: 3SC Shooting Stars (Ibadan)
- 1996: Udoji United (Awka)
- 1997: Eagle Cement (Port Harcourt)
- 1998: 3SC Shooting Stars (Ibadan)
- 1999: Lobi Stars (Makurdi)
- 2000: Julius Berger (Lagos)
- 2001: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2002: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2003: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2004: Dolphin (Port Harcourt)
- 2005: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2006: Ocean Boys (Brass)
- 2007: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2008: Kano Pillars (Kano)
- 2009: Bayelsa United (Yenegoa)
- 2010: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2011: Dolphin (Port Harcourt)
- 2012: Kano Pillars (Kano)
- 2013: Kano Pillars (Kano)
- 2014: Kano Pillars (Kano)
- 2015: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2016: Rangers International (Enugu)
- 2017: Plateau United (Jos)
- 2018: League suspended after 24 match days
- 2019: Enyimba (Aba)
- 2019–20: League season cancelled after 25 match days
Most titles won due to the NPFL Top Scorers of All Time are listed as below:
- Enyimba (Aba) with 8 championships during 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2015 and 2019.
- Rangers International (Enugu) with 7 championships during 1974, 1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1984 and 2016.
- Shooting Stars (Ibadan) with 5 championships during 1976, 1980, 1983, 1995 and 1998.
- Heartland F.C. (Owerri) with 5 championships during 1987, 1988,1989, 1990 and 1993
- Kano Pillars (Kano) with 4 championships during 2008, 2012 ,2013 and 2014
- Dolphin (Port Harcourt) (Includes Eagle Cement) with 3 championships during 1997, 2004 and 2011
- Bendel Insurance (Benin City) with 2 championships during 1973 and 1979
- Julius Berger (Lagos) with 2 championships1991 and 2000
- Lobi Stars (Makurdi) with 1 championship in 1999
- BCC Lions (Gboko) with 1 championship in 1994
- Stationery Stores (Lagos) with 1 championship in1992
- Leventis United (Ibadan) with 1 championship in 1986
- Plateau United (Jos) with 1 championship in 2017
- Bayelsa United (Yenegoa) with 1 championship in 2009
- Ocean Boys (Brass) with 1 championship in 2006
- Udoji United (Awka) with 1 championship in 1996
- New Nigeria Bank (Benin City) with 1 championship in 1985
- Racca Rovers (Kano) with 1 championship in1987
- Mighty Jets (Jos) with 1 championship in 1972
The scores gained by the NPFL Top Scorers of All Time
- Ishaya Jatau from Iwuanyanwu Nationale with 17 goals in 1990
- Richard Ojomo from Bendel United with 12 goals in 1991
- Arthur Moses from Super Stores with 10 goals in 1992
- Tony Nwigwe from Iwuanyanwu Nationale with 13 goals in 1993
- Olumide Harris from Shooting Stars with 14 goals in 1994
- Ben Agawam from Gombe United F.C. with 12 goals in 1995
- Peter Anyiolobi from Enyimba with 9 goals in 1996
- Paul Kpoughoul from Jasper United/BCC Lions with 16 goals in 1997
- Hassan Minna from Gombe United with 14 goals in 1998
- Emmanuel Ago from Iwuanyanwu Nationale with 14 goals in 1999
- Peter Ijeh from Julius Berger with 14 goals in 2000
- Uche Okereke from Enugu Rangers with 13 goals in 2001
- Joetex Frimpong from El-Kanemi Warriors with 16 goals in 2002
- Chibuzor Ozurumba Endurance Idahor from Iwuanyanwu Nationale Julius Berger with 13 goals in 2003
- Kabiru Alausa from Julius Berger with 13 goals in 2004
- Timothy Anjembe Joseph Akpala from Lobi Stars Bendel Insurance with 12 goals in 2005
- Ikechukwu Ibenegbu from El-Kanemi Warriors with 10 goals in 2006
- Aruwa Ameh from Kaduna United with 10 goals in 2007
- Abubakar Babale from Wikki Tourists/Sunshine Stars with 14 goals in 2008
- Orok Akarandut from Akwa United with 17 goals in 2009
- Ahmed Musa from Kano Pillars with 18 goals in 2010
- Jude Aneke from Kaduna United with 20 goals in 2011
- Sibi Gwar from Niger Tornadoes with 17 goals in 2012
- Victor Namo from Nasarawa United with 18 goals in 2013
- Mfon Udoh from Enyimba with 23 goals in 2014
- Gbolahan Salami from Warri Wolves with 17 goals in 2015
- Godwin Obaje from Wikki Tourists with 18 goals in 2016
- Anthony Okpotu from Lobi Stars with 19 goals in 2017
- Junior Lokosa from Kano Pillars with 19 goals in 2018
- Mfon Udoh Sunusi Ibrahim from Akwa united Nasarawa united with 10 goals in 2019
You might also like: Top facts you need to know about The Legend, Ronaldinho
The 30th anniversary of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) was celebrated. Justifiably, the celebrations were hushed as the league is presently on hold over the coronavirus pandemic. In 1972, league football had been established in Nigeria with Jos side Mighty Jets the nation’s first-ever top flight champions.
Decided on the general reorganization of the league on 12 May 1990, however the football stakeholders were performed with the first-rate flattering completely professional highest goal scores in NPFL of all time. Kano Pillars, Obanta United (later VIP), Ranchers Bees, Enugu Rangers and Stationery Stores were the forerunner associates of the restructured top flight.
Others included in the NPFL highest goal scorers of all time/ever were the now obsolete Lagos ACB, BCC Lions, Bendel Insurance, Bendel United (now non-operational), Enyimba, Highlanders of Jos, Iwuanyanwu Nationale (now Center), and JIB.
Only Enyimba, Enugu Rangers, Kano Pillars, and Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Heartland) are presently in the first-rate three decades later belonged to the NPFL highest goal scorers of all time/ever among the institution members of the league.
From the old first separation kicked off the season in contrast to Stationery Stores, Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Heartland) were governing champions at the Onikan Stadium, Lagos. The Owerri-based Naze Millionaires succeeded 2-1 beside Stores and departed to win the initial challenge – their fourth league title on the trot among the NPFL highest goal scorers of all time/ever, a achievement yet to be recurring. The inaugural winner of the golden boot was also shaped by Iwuanyanwu Nationale and Ishaya Jatau finishing on top the goal’s scorer charts among the NPFL top goal scores ever with 17 goals.
The most efficacious club in the NPFL era is Aba side Enyimba with eight league titles among the NPFL top goal scores ever which is also an unsurpassed record for topflight titles. The second-highest number of NPFL titles (four) was achieved by Kano Pillars whereas the two other founding members of the professional league unmoving in the topflight – that is Enugu Rangers and Iwuanyanwu Nationale (Heartland) – they have won the simplified topnotch once and twice separately.
The first player to score 20 goals in a season among the Top scorers in NPFL of all time, Kaduna United’s Jude Aneke is named in 2011. His feat was, nonetheless, beaten by Enyimba’s Mfon Udoh who remains a recorder for his 23 goals in 2014.
The only player to have won the golden boot twice is Udoh among the Top scorers in NPFL of all time whereas nine goals of Peter Anyiolobi for Enyimba in 1996 were the insufficient aimed at a wonderful boot winner.
Lobi Stars Anthony Okpotu converted to the first-ranked player to record three hat-tricks in a single season achieving the feat against Sunshine Stars to gain the title of Top scorers in NPFL of all time, MFM FC and El-Kanemi Warriors in 2017.
You might also like: Top facts about the best footballer in the world, Lionel Messi
NPFL 2019/20 season
Five potential players who could appear as the All-time top goal scorers in NPFL history for the new domestic season are listed below.
You might also like: Facts about Neymar You Need to Know
Sikiru Alimi (Lobi Stars)
The fleet-footed Lobi Stars striker ranks highly among the NPFL highest goal scorers of all time/ever. As a recognized goal-getter, Alimi is demonstrated during recent obligations with Imama Amapakabo's home-based Eagles. Sideways of being clever and able to deal with defenders, Alimi is strong enough to puts his soaring height to optimal use.
In the of Samad Kadiri, Sibi Gwar and Abdulkareem Mumini among others boosted teams, Alimi should get more than abundant provision, whereas his uniformity in front of goal confirms he's one of the NPFL highest goal scorers of all time/ever.
Victor Mbaoma (Enyimba)
Mbaoma did precisely that with Remo Stars in the 2017 crusade following their elevation to be as one of the All-time top goal scorers in NPFL history by hitting double digits in a debut season in Nigeria’s elite division is a rare achievement. Subsequently, the fatal striker has not ever looked back as he possesses individual power for season-after-season champions anywhere he finds himself.
The strength to continue for 90 min time with a terrific leap, accuracy in the final third, amazing abilities and the aptitude to groove from free kicks, the hitman is a robust applicant for the All-time top goal scorers in NPFL history.
Nyima Nwagua (Kano Pillars)
Recognized as the nighmare for defenders and the man gained the highest goal scores in NPFL of all time, Fondly called the Bull, as the muscular striker. He rests a effective forward, talented for distressing any team with his fresh power while last season Nwagua fell short of expectations after Kano Pillars was left by his deadly strike partner Junior Lokosa for Esperance. He is probable to take advantage from a rich Pillars squad as included Ebuka Odenigbo and former FC Ifeanyi Ubah skipper Alaekwe Chijioke amongst others.
Ibrahim Sunusi (Nasarawa United)
NPFL top goal scores ever is gained by the NPFL goal king Mfon Udoh as the joint-top scorer, then a late burst of goals last season for Nasarawa United proved Sunusi quality. Since his outstanding, he illustrate in the league, has been uncovered to worldwide football underneath the Amapakabo, and will be part of the U23 squad that far along this month races the Afcon in Egypt. While Sunusi’s work rate is venerable, it is essential for him to improve his adaptation rate to maintain his Golden Boot of NPFL top goal scores ever.
Abdulrahman Bashir (Enyimba)
To the degree that scoring goals is considered, Bashir has not been fortunated sufficient yet to expose the Golden Boot of NPFL Top Scorers of All Time, despite his constancy concluded the past five seasons. In the transfer window, Enyimba made some attired signings when Bashir will still be predictable to prime the People's Elephant's occurrence caption into the new season. The former goal poacher of Nasarawa United, ABS and Lobi Stars has played a gigantic starring role in Enyimba’s current achievements. If he gets rid of any injury, then, he can get ahead of the duo of Sunusi and Udoh for the next Golden Boot of NPFL Top Scorers of All Time.
SCORERS CHART FOR GOALS (2019/2020) - MATCHDAY 25
- Abia Israel Rangers Int’l FC (Sunshine Stars 7) with 12 goals
- Mustapha Ibrahim Plateau United FC with 11 goals
- Ndifreke Effiong Akwa United FC with 11 goals
- Auwal Malam Ali Kano Pillars with 11 goals
- Victor Mbaoma Enyimba Int’l FC with 9 goals
- Tasiu Lawal Katsina United FC with 8 goals
- Stanley Dimgba Enyimba Int’l FC with 8 goals
- Malachi Ohawume Rivers United FC with 8 goals
- Charles U Atshimene Warri Wolves FC with 7 goals
- Idris Mohammed Aguda Wikki Tourist FC with 7 goals
- Jimoh Sunday Oni Abia Warriors FC with 6 goals
- Idris Abubakar Adamawa United FC with 6 goals
- Abubakar Lawal Nasarawa United FC with 6 goals
- Chinedu Ohanachom Nasarawa United FC with 6 goals
- Obioma Chukwuemeka Heartland FC with 6 goals
- Samad Kadiri Lobi Stars FC with 6 goals
- Ali Kalla Maro Jigawa G. Stars FC with 6 goals
- Femi Ajayi Dakkada FC with 6 goals
- Abba Umar Plateau United FC with 5 goals
- Omaka Anthony Sunshine Stars FC with 5 goals
- Ekelejuoti Fuad Sunshine Stars FC with 5 goals
- Augustine Oladapo Enyimba Int’l FC with 5 goals
- Akarandut Orok Akwa United FC with 5 goals
- Nenriot Silas Plateau United FC with 4 goals
- Isaac George Dakkada FC with 4 goals
- Anas Yusuf Nasarawa United FC with 4 goals
- Jackson Daniel Wikki Tourist FC with 4 goals
- Nwagua Nyima Kano Pillars FC with 4 goals
- Sabastine Uche FC Ifeanyiubah with 4 goals
- Kalu Samuel FC Ifeanyiubah with 4 goals
- Alao Danbani Kwara United FC with 4 goals
- Kabiru Adewale Adeniji MFM FC with 4 goals
- Ogwu Clement MFM FC with 4 goals
- Atule S. Joseph Katsina United FC with 4 goals
- Konan Ruffin N’Gouan Rivers United FC with 4 goals
- Spencer Marcus Bassey Dakkada FC with 4 goals
- Abiodun Thompson Heartland FC with 4 goals
- Kabiru Adewale Adeniji MFM FC with 4 goals