Man City fan attacked and left for dead after Brugge clash

Wed 20 October 2021 | 13:41

A fan has been attacked after the Champions League clash against Brugge on Tuesday and is fighting for his life.

Five people were arrested after a

Manchester City

fan was attacked in a car park after the Champions League game on Tuesday.

Guido De Pauw

was in a car park with his two friends and his son when a Club Brugge supporter struck the 63-year-old in the head.

A statement was released by the East Flanders Public Prosecutor's office to announce the start of an investigation.

Last night around 10.40pm, an incident took place in the parking lot of the E40 Drongen towards Brussels,”

it begins.

“A man wearing a Manchester City scarf had stopped his car in Drongen after the Club Brugge - Manchester City football match and had gone into a shop. 

“According to the first findings of the investigation, his football scarf was taken in the shop by a suspect and he walked outside with it.

“Subsequently, the victim came into confrontation with some suspects in the parking lot, and ended up on the ground after being physically assaulted.

“The emergency services arrived on the scene. The victim, a 63-year-old man from Ninove, was taken to hospital. He is in mortal danger. There were a number of witnesses to the facts.

“Due to these facts, the police arrested five people during the night. They were arrested by order of the East Flanders Public Prosecutor's Office. The investigation is in full swing.”

Jurgen, the victim’s son, who is a chairman of the Blue Moon, a Man City fan group, told HLN of the incident:

“After the game, we stopped at the parking lot. A Club [Brugge] supporter approached him and pulled the scarf from his neck.

“When my dad asked for his scarf back, he received a heavy blow to the head, after which the perpetrators fled and left my dad for dead.”

Man City released their own statement on Wednesday, which read:

“Everyone at Manchester City is shocked and saddened to hear reports of an attack on one of our supporters after the Champions League game in Bruges last night.

“We are currently working with our counterparts at Club Brugge as well as Belgian and Greater Manchester Police to establish more information.

“Our thoughts and best wishes go out to the family and friends of the Belgian based supporter, who remains in hospital.”


Club Brugge

statement read:

 "Club Brugge was horrified to learn of the events at the E40 motorway parking lot in Drongen where a Manchester City supporter, who had previously been a guest at the Jan Breydel Stadium, was attacked.

"Club Brugge strongly disapproves of all criminal behaviour, both inside and outside the stadium and puts tolerance first. Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the Manchester City supporter."

source: SportMob

DISCLAIMER! Sportmob does not claim ownership of any of the pictures posted on this website. Again, we do not host pictures or videos ourselves. Our authors merely link to the rightful owner. Lastly, Sportmob have carefully considered and reviewed all of its content. Despite that, it is possible that some information might be out-dated or incomplete.