logo

‘UEFA will stand against FIFA's biennial World Cup plans’ - Ceferin

Fri 15 October 2021 | 23:52

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has said UEFA will stand against FIFA’s plans for biennial World Cups until common sense prevails.

FIFA wants to stage World Cup every two years as part of an overhaul of the international calendar from 2024 and is currently consulting with national associations, confederations, fans, clubs, players, and leagues.

Ceferin

has previously said European countries could boycott the World Cup if the changes were introduced, and on Friday UEFA reiterates their stance against FIFA’s plans for a two-year World Cup.

“FIFA’s plans for a two-year World Cup will be blocked by UEFA and CONMEBOL even if they receive the support of most of the football associations,”

UEFA President

Aleksander Ceferin

told

Reuters

.

“The proposals would damage all forms of football and devalue the competition itself. This concept has all the characteristics of a decision that FIFA wants to take quickly and let the rest of the football world regret it bitterly.

“UEFA will continue to oppose until common sense prevails and the plans are abandoned.”


source: SportMob

DISCLAIMER! Sportmob does not claim ownership of any of the pictures posted on this website. Again, we do not host pictures or videos ourselves. Our authors merely link to the rightful owner. Lastly, Sportmob have carefully considered and reviewed all of its content. Despite that, it is possible that some information might be out-dated or incomplete.